Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cloning: What's the big deal?

I'm not saying I wouldn't be creeped out if scientists took some of my husband's cells and grew me another one. In addition to being creeped out, I'd probably be dismayed at having twice the laundry and dishes.

But people ARE NOT fundamentally the same as animals. Animals are not sentient. They don't have souls, organized religion, private property or complex financial systems. What's the big deal if we clone and eat them? (In deference to animal rights activists, who argue that they are sentient and have souls etc, I would note that activists wouldn't eat meat anyways.)

Yesterday, the FDA declared that meat and milk from cloned animals is safe. One official called it "indistinguishable" from standard animals. Yet bloggers and ordinary Americans all over the internet are going nuts over this decision. What's the big deal, people?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:04 a.m., Blogger Tammy K said...

Forget about the animal cloning debate - Human cloning is right around the corner, and I don't think this country is prepared at all to deal with it.

 
At 3:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes thousands of dollars to clone a cow, and is far easier to make them the old fashioned way. The "cloned beef" outcry is just the FDA's latest boondoggle.

To say nothing of cloning your husband...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home